Sunday, September 30, 2007

Charreah rocks!!!

One of our scholarship winners, Charreah Jackson, was so inspired that she composed a poem about JAWS. Her performance Saturday night ruled! We don't have audio or video yet, but here's her ode to JAWS!!


Open Wide
See Jaws are made for opening wide
Putting the fact I have both breast AND a brain aside
Telling a story the way it should be told.
Never accepting there's such a thing as too girly, too bold, too black or too old

See Jaws are made for opening wide
To sigh loudly when told "no"
No you can't write that, no you can't sit there
No because we said so, and you girls said it first, no means no

But no, we opened our jaws and said yes
Yes, I'll be the first at the copy desk
At NYT
Yes I'll be a political or sports editor
Why the hell not me?
No I won't just cook or sew
No, I won't quit because my womb has started to grow

See Jaws are made to open wide
To share the love we all have inside
A love for truth and all mankind
A love for Wisconsin cheese
And you know a glass of wine


See Jaws are built to open wide
To push aside pretension and pride
And so I thank you for opening yours
Kicking open doors that make me have a few firsts
Let the torch continue to pass and its light be our guide
Let the Jaws of Jaws always be open wide